Friday, May 1, 2015

Dewberry Season!

 
I put this picture front and center to really grab your attention and make your mouth water!

I have been so excited and not so patiently awaiting dewberry season this year. I was bound and determined to collect enough to make something from them this year instead of just a couple of handfuls that we ate as we found them. I kept an eye out and mentally mapped everywhere I saw those white blooms and thorny vines every time I walked around the property. And they are finally ready to start picking! I've picked the first round of berries and came away with several cups of them. My hand is scratched to heck and I've got a bit of a sunburn, but I've also got yummy berries to eat! There are plenty more that are still red, almost ripe and ready to go. So far, I have made a cobbler and a pie and the kids and I have eaten handfuls of them. Now I want to collect enough to make jam.

The first sign of the coming berries, the white flowers.


ALL THOSE WHITE FLOWERS!




Macerating my berries, muahahaha.

My cobbler:

Making the pie at 5 in the morning, because what else do you do when you are wide awake at 5 am?

Made it extra pretty:


Although I was sorely tempted to eat this for breakfast, I held off until after dinner!And then I made fresh whipped cream to top it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment