Monday, June 30, 2014

A Dress to Honor Julia

My hands are full taking care of kids all day, but I managed to carve out a little time to do an activity I enjoy - sewing. I have made a few things here and there when I can, teaching myself from internet tutorials and other bloggers, and learning as I go. One thing I was intimidated by - a serger machine - I have finally utilized. And it is nice. My Aunt Julia had bought it, then never took it out of the box and decided she wasn't going to use it, so she gave it to me. I finally used it to make a dress for Mattie to wear to my Aunt Julia's Celebration of Life/Memorial Service after she passed away on May 31st. She would have been proud of it and happy that I used the machine. But trying to get pictures of Mattie in it are darn near impossible! So we played chase in the kitchen. These pictures were taken with me just holding the camera behind me, snapping away, while Mattie was chasing me in circles.

I followed instructions from this site. I used 2 coordinating fabrics instead of one and added the embellishment at the top. It was actually a piece of scrap embroidery that was in my Great-Grandma's sewing stuff I inherited. (The box of stuff I got from her was mostly pins, a few buttons/needles, old elastic, and scraps of lace and bias tape leftover from projects she made.)




I put shorts with it because it turned out a little shorter than anticipated but still so cute. My button hole was pretty crummy but that's because of my machine. I bought it used over 10 years ago for $100 and it's been a great little machine - but it does not like buttonholes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment